How to Immigrate to the USA Without a Trade in 2023
How to Immigrate to the USA Without a Trade in 2023
Immigrating to the United States can be a complicated and time-consuming process, but it is not impossible to do so without a trade. In this article we outline the different pathways to immigrate to the USA without a trade. The main ways individuals immigarte to the U.S. without a trade in 2023 are via family sponsorship, employment based visas and the Diversity Visa Lottery (Green Card Lottery).
Family Based Immigration to America without a Trade
The most common way to immigrate to the United States without a trade is through family sponsorship. If you have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident then they may be able to sponsor you for a green card.
Immediate Relative Visas for the United States
This U.S. visa category is aimed at spouses, parents, and unmarried children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens. There is no annual quota for these visas and they are available all year round. To apply for an immediate relative visa you must have a close relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Steps to apply for an immediate relative visa
- Step 1: File Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative). Your relative must file this form on your behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). They must provide evidence of their U.S. citizenship and show to USCIS they have a real relationship with you.
- Step 2: Wait for Approval of Form I-130. USCIS will review the form and determine whether it is complete and whether you are eligible for an immediate relative visa. If you are approved then USCIS will send a notice of approval to your relative.
- Step 3: Apply for a Visa. If you are outside the United States then you must apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. If you are inside the United States then you can apply for a green card through a process called “adjustment of status”.
- Step 4: Attend a Medical Examination. All visa applicants must undergo a medical examination before entering the United States.
- Step 5: Attend a Visa Interview. If you are applying for a visa outside the United States you must attend a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
Family Preference Visas to Immigrate to the USA Without a Trade
This category is for unmarried children over the age of 21, married children of any age and siblings of U.S. citizens. There is an annual quota for these visas and so there may be a waiting period of between 6 and 18 months before the visa is granted. This is because relationships and ties covered by the Family preference Visa are not deemed to be as “close” as those covered in the Immediate Family Visa.
Steps to apply for an family preference visa
The steps to apply for a family preference visa are similar to those for an immediate relative visa. The key difference is there is an annual quota for family preference visas.
- Step 1: File Form I-130. Your relative must file this form on your behalf with USCIS.
- Step 2: Wait for Approval of Form I-130. USCIS will review the form and determine whether it is complete and whether you are eligible for a family preference visa.
- Step 3: Check the Visa Bulletin. The Department of State publishes a monthly visa bulletin that lists the availability of visas for each category. Your relative must check the visa bulletin to determine when a visa becomes available for you.
- Step 4: Apply for a Visa.
- Step 5: Attend a Medical Examination.
- Step 6: Attend a Visa Interview.
Employment Based Visas to Immigrate to the USA Without a Trade
If you don’t have any relatives in the U.S. then another way to immigrate to the United States without a trade is through employment based visas. If you have a job offer from a U.S. employer they can sponsor you for a green card.
The Five Categories of Employment Based Visas for the U.S.
- First Preference (EB-1): For individuals with extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or sports.
- Second Preference (EB-2): This category is for individuals with advanced degrees or exceptional ability.
- Third Preference (EB-3): This category is for individuals with a bachelor’s degree, a skilled worker or a professional worker.
- Fourth Preference (EB-4): This category is for religious workers and certain broadcast employees.
- Fifth Preference (EB-5): This category is for individuals investing in a U.S. commercial enterprise that creates or preserves ten permanent full-time jobs for U.S. workers.
Immigrate to the United States Without a Trade with the Diversity Visa Lottery
The Diversity Visa Lottery is also known as the Green Card Lottery. It is a program that offers a number of visas each year to applicants from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. The lottery is open to anyone who meets the eligibility requirements and provides a way for individuals to immigrate to the United States without a trade or a job offer.
To participate in the Diversity Visa Lottery you must be a Citizen of a country that is eligible and have at least a high school education or two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience.
How to apply for the Diversity Visa Lottery
- Determine Eligibility: To be eligible for the Diversity Visa Lottery you must meet certain requirements including being a native of an eligible country and having at least a high school education or its equivalent.
- Register for the Lottery: The Diversity Visa Lottery is open for a limited time each year, usually in the fall. You can register online by completing the Electronic Diversity Visa (E-DV) Entry Form on the Department of State’s website.
- Submit the Entry Form: After you have completed the entry form you must submit it online before the deadline.
- Check Entrant Status: After the entry period closes the Department of State will randomly select a limited number of entries from the pool of eligible entrants. The selected entrants will be notified by the Department of State and will be given further instructions on how to proceed.
- Apply for a Visa: If you are selected in the DV Lottery you will be able to apply for a visa.
- Enter the United States: If your visa application is approved you will be able to enter the United States as a permanent resident.
There are many ways to immigrate to the USA without a trade in 2023. Whether you choose to do so through family sponsorship, employment-based visas or the Diversity Visa Lottery it is important to research the requirements and procedures for each option to determine the best path for you. Therefore it is always a good idea to take a Free Visa Assessment to work out your immigration eligibility.
Previous: United States Green Card Explained
Philippe Ash is a highly respected expert in the field of immigration to the United States. With over a decade of experience, he has established himself as one of the best paralegals in the business. His extensive knowledge and passion for helping people navigate the complex immigration process has earned him international recognition. Philippe's commitment to excellence, combined with his personalized approach to making Immigration Information available to the greatest number of people on a philanthropic basis.