Immigrate to the United States via CUSMA or USMCA


The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) is also known as the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), is a trade agreement between the United States, Mexico and Canada. It does not provide a specific pathway for immigration from Canada or Mexico to the United States.


However, individuals who are citizens of Canada or Mexico and who meet the eligibility criteria for a U.S. work or business visa may apply for one of these visas through a U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada or Mexico. For example, individuals who are citizens of Canada may apply for an H-1B visa, which is a temporary work visa for specialty workers, or an L-1 visa, which is a visa for intracompany transferees.

Requirements to Work in the United States by CUSMA or USCMA


The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), also known as CUSMA contains provisions that support trade and investment between the three countries. One of these provisions is around the movement of people for work purposes between the three countries.


To work in the United States, individuals must meet the eligibility criteria for a U.S. work visa and apply for the appropriate visa through a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. Individuals must meet the following criteria:


  1. Qualifications: The individual must have the necessary education, training and/or experience to perform the job for which they have been offered a position in the United States.
  2. Job offer: The individual must have a valid job offer from a U.S. employer that is related to their field of expertise.
  3. Labor certification: The U.S. employer must obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor which confirms that there are no qualified U.S. workers available to fill the job.
  4. Visa petition: The U.S. employer must file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of the individual.
  5. Interview: The individual will be required to attend an in-person interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.


CUSMA / USMCA also works for United States Citizens looking to live and work in Canada and Mexico. Many U.S. Citizens work in Canada and check out the Canada Visa Bureau to find out more, or take a FREE VISA ASSESSMENT.

Philippe Ash is a highly respected expert in the field of immigration to the United States. With over a decade of experience, he has established himself as one of the best paralegals in the business. His extensive knowledge and passion for helping people navigate the complex immigration process has earned him international recognition. Philippe's commitment to excellence, combined with his personalized approach to making Immigration Information available to the greatest number of people on a philanthropic basis.

Fact Checked by Expert Consultants

We strive to provide the most up-to-date and accurate Immigration information on the web so our readers can make informed decisions about their U.S. Immigration. Our subject matter experts specialize in American Immigration. We follow strict guidelines when fact-checking information and only use credible, Government sources when citing statistics and information. Look for the badge on our articles for the most up-to-date and accurate information. If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate or out-of-date, please let us know via our Contact Page

Disclaimer: We use fact-based content and publish material that is researched, cited, edited, and reviewed by U.S. Immigration professionals. The information we publish is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. is an independent, third-party resource and it does not endorse any particular immigration pathway. is not a provider of paid for Immigration services. We do not feature any Immigration service providers on this site.